BEST WESTERN PLUS Blunsdon House hotel in Swindon is situated in the village of Broad Blunsdon on the north edge of Swindon, only 7 miles from the M4 and 4 miles from the town centre. The hotel is set in 30 acres of beautiful Wiltshire countryside and is only one hour from London, Oxford, Bath, Cheltenham and Bristol making it ideal for touring the picturesque villages of the Cotswolds or shopping in the nearby Designer Outlet Village.
A Potted History
Blunsdon House Hotel was probably built as a Hunting Lodge at the beginning of the 19th Century on the 400 Acre St Leonard’s Farm. The earliest known owner, Captain Henry Walters, had Blunsdon House from the early part of the 19th Century and may well have been responsible for some of the fine specimens of trees which remain to this day. The house changed hands several times until it was purchased by Peter and Zan Clifford in 1947. Blunsdon House became a farm with pigs, cattle and poultry.
The year that changed Zan and Peter’s life was 1957, and the event was the Bath and West show. This huge agricultural show brought many visitors to Swindon. A hotelier friend asked Peter if he and his wife could accommodate some people in their 10 bedroomed farm house.
Within two years the hotel became a licensed Country Club. In 1960 Blunsdon House became a fully licensed hotel. In the mid 1960’s it was one of only three hotels in Swindon to achieve AA and RAC listings and twenty years later became the first four-star hotel in the county.
The hotel has continued to grow from the first extension in 1964 and in 2005 Blunsdon House Hotel achieved another accolade becoming only the fourth ‘Premier’ rated Best Western hotel in the UK. Plasma TV screens in the newly refurbished bedrooms are a far cry from the black and white sets of the 1960’s. Blunsdon House is set to go from strength to strength by listening to its guests.
For Bedroom & Dining Reservations please call: 01793 721701